Revised Edition Copyright 2000 by Judy Card
The criticism is sometime heard that history should include all facts. If that is so the committee confesses it has fallen short in its effort for we have omitted incidents that might embarrass friends and relatives. In gathering the facts we found 8 or 10 suicides; 3 or 4 murders and enough law suits and divorce cases to fill a book. Woodland like any other community has had its bad as well as its good side.
Frank Abel, a bachelor, came to Lewis River with the Ezra Stratton's in 1866 and settled where the Abel Cemetery is located. Mr. Abel set aside this tract soon after his arrival as evidenced by the head stones of Mary McAfferty and James E. Ross. She died in 1873 and he in 1875. She was great aunt and he uncle of Clara Ross Jones, who has compiled a record of all the headstones in the cemetery. By 1900 many graves had been dug to receive the remains of departed ones escorted by a caravan of farm wagons strewn along the road usually in a cloud of dust.
Mr. Abel was a highly esteemed neighbor and thrifty farmer. His cherries were the delight of the neighbors who would come with their families to pick them.
Mr. Abel sold his farm about 1900 to John Bruger and moved to Woodland where he married. They were both deaf but that did not prevent their entering into community life which they did till death.
The Miles Allen family consisting of his wife, daughter and son, Dora and Ray, with his father, mother, brother George and wife Mary and their two stepsons, Clarence Doty and Charley Brownell by her two former marriages, came from Iowa in an immigrant train to Kalama in 1880 or 81.
They first lived on the Jackson Powell Place on Green Mountain. Then Miles took up a homestead at the mouth of Spielei Creek and lived there three years, proving up. He then moved to Cedar Creek Where he hauled lumber at the Ad Reid mill. In 1887 he moved back to the Jackson Powell place and set out the Tom Oliver hop yard and operated it two years.
By this time Miles' parents had settled at Kerns where Mr. Allen pursued his trade as cobbler in a building near Mark Powell's present home. Later, he moved his last and awl into his son-in-law's (John Hunter) shoe shop at the Y (present Schurman Machine Shop) where he made and repaired boots and shoes until old age overtook him.
After two years of hop growing, Miles in 1889, traded his brother Jud a horse for four acres off of Jud's farm at Hayes. Jud had just arrived from Colorado with his family and had purchased the Scofield or Henry Houghton place.
The Miles and Jud Allen families lived side by side close to school and church and four miles from Woodland. Miles and Jud farmed and worked in logging camps and enjoyed an annual deer hunt on the Little Kalama, usually bringing home a venison. Jud did the outside painting on the church, Gardner Chapel, which was built in 1889. Jud also worked in a Portland wagon assembly plant, on an assembly line plan. He would tell the folks how he would grab a nut here, a bolt there and a wheel and the completed wagon rolled out ready for the next trip. After Jud separated from his wife, he built a cabin on Lake Merrill (the Trout Lake) and spent his last years there fishing and hunting.
About 1903 the Miles Allens moved to Chelatchie Prairie where their two married daughters had settled.
The Adoniram Judson and Dorcas Fuller Allen children were Miles Standish, Mary, Emma, Adoniram Judson, Jr., Ludy, George, Will and Bertha.
Miles married Emma Hunter and their children were Dora, Ray, Miles, Lizzie (Libby), Nettie, Laura and Percy. Dora married Ott Huffman about 1897 and their children were Mary, George, Fred, Robert and Charley. Ray never married. Milo married Emma Backman and their children were George, Clara, Walter, Leonard, Eldon, and Clifford. Miles and three sons were trapped and killed in their home due to a break that wrecked their house. Milo's wife Emma never remarried and now lives in Castle Rock. Lizzie married Burt Gillott in 1903 and their children were Sarah, Ida, Marguerite and Lola. Nettie died at about 18. Laura married Walt Duddles, Percy married Florence Royce.
Mary Allen married Abe Cook and they had one adopted son Albert who took the Cook name. Emma Allen married John Hunter. (See John Hunter family.)
Jud married Sara Emma Bagley and their children were Earl, Evelyn, Ethel, Guy, Blanche, Homer and Leona. Earl married Maud Howard and their children were Ida, Luella and Charley. Ida married Luciaen Willard and they had Dorothy and Juanita. She later married Clyde Dick and they had two children. Luella married John Courtney and their children were Lester and glen. Charley married Dorothy Wark and their children were Lester and Glen. Charley married Dorothy Wark and their children were Charlene, Barbara, and Robert.
Evelyn Allen married Charley Kletch and their children were Iva, Elmer, Henry, Minnie, Pearl, Wayne and Charles. Ethel Allen married Tobe Robins (see Henry Robins family). She later married Tom Tucker. They had one son Claude. Guy Allen married Maud Willard and their children were Violet, Winnie, Everett, Floyd, and several more.
Blanche Allen married Lloyd Cooper. They had one son Frank. She later married M. William Dean. Homer Allen married a widow with three children. Leona Allen married Walt Bacon. She later married Dick Wall.
Lucy Allen , sister of Miles and Jud married her cousin Fod Allen. Their children were Susie, Murt, Fay, Grant, Perle and Tressie. The Fod Allens lived most of the time in the Yale Area. He died in 1903 and she in 1913.
The George and Will Allens did not remain long in the Lewis River community. Will died in Canada. Bertha Allen married Sam Howe.
ANDREWS, ALF H. AND MAY
Alf H. and May Andrews came west with her parents, the Joe and Elizabeth Bennetts, and settled at Woodland about 1889. Alf soon hired out as engineer on Jacob Kamms steamboats and remained in that capacity mostly on the Str. MASCOT until she exploded and burned to the water line at her Pekin landing in 1911. Mr. Andrews at the polished brass controls back aft in the engine room was a familiar figure to the young fry exploring the workings of a steamboat. Mr. Andrews, a six footer, had a long black mustache and wore the conventional blue uniform with flat top cap and straight-out porch.
After the MASCOT burned, Mr. Andrews worked for a while as engineer on the Str. ETNA for Lurlie Gray. He later did teaming around Woodland. He served Woodland as Councilman and was an Odd Fellow and he remained until about a year before his death which occurred in 1930. Mrs. Andrews died in 1947. Harry their only child married Hazel Martin and they now reside in Woodland.
ANRYS, SHELL AND ED
Shell and Ed Anrys, born in France, first ran a store in Kansas. They moved to Rainier, Oregon where Shell ran a store before moving to the Cedar Creek Area in 1879. Shell and Ed first worked in the Ad Reid saw mill. Shell later worked in Jim Forbe's store. Later, after the Forbe's store was washed away in the 1896 flood, Shell built a store to which the Etna Post Office was transferred after Mr. Forbe's gave it up. The Forbes had kept the Post Office in their home a few years after the store and the Post office was washed out.
Shell Anrys married Mary Dunnigan and their children were Ed, Harry, Fred, and Walt. Ed (Edmond) married Grace Beebe and they had several Children. Harry married Addie Strait and later married Mary Wilson and they had one son, Clarence. Fred never married. He was sickly and died about age 30. Walt married Clementine Strait and they had no children. Walt was working at the Fish Hatchery when he was killed in an auto accident.
Ed Anrys, Shells bachelor brother had a place above the Parkers in the Cedar Creek area.
BACKMAN, GEORGE J. by granddaughter Rachel Bennett and her daughter Ella Schurman.
George John Backman Jr. who lived up the Lewis River a few miles, on the Clark County side has had a varied experience, born in Detroit he crossed the plains when but two years old, was packed by his parents to the mines, lived on a California farm, survived Indian raids, Indian attacks and a buffalo stampede, and pioneered with his parents on Chelatchie Prairie and in the Lewis River Valley.
Mr. Backman was born in Detroit, Michigan in 1850. His father, George John Backman Sr., born in New York in 1819, married Clara Hargrove March 29, 1849. The next year he left for California by the plains route, returning in December of the same year by the isthmus of Panama; but the lure of the west was upon him. About April 1, 1852 he started again with the hosts of one of the most magnificent and unparalleled migrations of all the world.
This time he had several wagons of his own with two yoke of oxen to the wagon and several spare oxen for replacements. His extra wagons were used to convey other emigrants to California, they paying their passage. Having made a previous trip and being a man of energy and ability he was elected captain for the trip. Though the train was a large one there were but nine women and one baby, who was G.J. Backman, Jr., then two years old.
The train was too large to be an easy prey to the Indians, but they suffered several attacks, losing three oxen, among them the best one he had, from Indian arrows. Several others were lost on account of alkali. Knowing the Indian method of approach, George Backman always formed a round corral, running each wagon tongue under the wagon ahead of it in ample time to let the stock feed before turning them into the corral for the night. He required his guards to lie down while doing their turns at guard duty. This was due to the fact that the Indians always crawled up on the ground and a man standing would show against the sky line. With the guards lying down the case was reversed and the Indian scouts appear against the sky line as they slowly and cautiously rose to peer about. Thus the Indians were at a disadvantage.
Captain Backman ingeniously met a great buffalo stampede. Instead of the usual corral he ordered the wagons into formation with one wagon at the head facing the oncoming thousands and the others placed in a "V" formation behind it so that the herd divided and sheared off on each side. In this way they got out in good shape.
At Salt Lake city, Mr. Backman traded a fine coal black horse to Brigham Young at a good figure as it just suited Brigham Young to match up with another horse he had, the two horses making a fine carriage team.
Arriving in California, he kept one wagon and some oxen which he turned loose on the natural pasture there. The other wagons and equipment were left where they last used it. The first taker was the next lawful owner. Immigrants were arriving so rapidly that there was no market for stuff, the lack of market was partly due to the rush to the mines. Flour and various other things were high in price, but meat was cheap. The Spanish cattle found abundant pasture on the natural grasses growing there. Miles of wild oats grew five feet high in places. Backman says the Spanish cattle used to be in such large herds that they made the ground tremble as they came from the hills to the watering places.
With his cattle turned loose on the abundant pasture soon after his arrival the elder Backman made his way to the placer prospects on Feather river, packing the baby in. His fortune varied, sometimes was good luck and sometimes bad, but he did not make anything. When the placer season was over he gathered up his oxen and began freighting from San Francisco to Red Bluff on the Sacramento River. He kept at his work during the summer of 1853. Then he went to San Francisco for a short time following which he went to Healdsburg about 75 miles north to get land to start farming.
Spanish land titles were notorious in those days, due to overlapping claims, thought partly, perhaps, to lack of system of registration of deeds. Overlapping of claims was the trouble that angered the American settlers. Americans went in there and bought lands of ...... Spaniards only to find that some Spaniard had a claim to it. Excitement rose over such dealings so that the Americans formed a league to drive out the Spaniards and all Americans who sided with them. They meant business, too, for two Americans were brought home dead because of the Spanish leanings. About this time, Backman built a house on the land of a Spaniard who maintained that he could give a good title. When anti-Spanish sentiment grew so strong that killings occurred he decided that he was not ready to die an unnatural death so he left that place and rented the place of another man who had his land all fenced. He was here fours years, leaving in 1859 for Washington Territory. The foregoing Spaniard sold his claim to a group of lawyers who at once boosted the price. On the trip north they had some excitement in the Rogue River country, for the Indians seemed threatening. Near one of their camps two horsemen with a pack horse each, camped for the night on a bench. Indians slipped up there but found the dog in their way. Incautiously one of them gave the dog a kick landing him on the remains of the camp fire. The dog gave a howl that startled the entire camp below. Men and women seized their rifles, for many of the latter could shoot and were desperate enough to do it, too. One Indian was badly wounded. Following the wounding of the Indian they expected a general attack, but it did not occur. Mrs. Backman was so worked up about the occurrence that she wanted to go back to California, but as their going alone would have been worse than going ahead with the train there was nothing to do but to go on. Reaching St. Helens they were detained until after the Fourth of July for lack of boats.
When they did cross they built a house about the southeast corner of the Archie Lee Lewis place. Not satisfied with their prospect of having their house float away during some flood as they were told would happen, Mr. Backman moved his family to Chelatchie Prairie in January 1860, having taken a claim there.
One night of that year, during the absence of the elder Backman a great number of Yakima Indians came to the house and ransacked it. Trepady, and Indian whom Mrs. Backman had befriended by giving him bread and milk came to the rescue and got the Indians out of the house. The latter took fence rails to build camp fires and remained for some time. Trepady sat on the doorstep until the others went away and then asked for some bread and milk which was given him. How long he remained on guard they never knew, but when morning came he was gone. The Yakimas were in their war paint and were believed to have come over to this side of the mountains to persuade the Lewis River Indians to enter another war against the Whites, but the proposition did not interest the Indians in this section. Only two families were on Chelatchie Prairie at that time. All goods had to be packed in over Indian trails on horses, and were obtained at Stoughton's landing on the East Fork above La Center or at a landing on the main Lewis River, on the present Backman place.
At times Indian squaws came to the house, sat on the door step and wept over what the country was coming to. The White men were plowing up the ground and destroying the grass, while his hogs were rooting up and eating the camas; so it came about that their lament was, "Camas all gone, papoose die; grass all gone, horse die."
In 1864 Mr. Backman and his family left Chelatchie Prairie and rented land of Jane Caples, later known as the Guild place on the bottoms. The place was soon sold to a Mr. Miller who then purchased the crop that Mrs. Backman had put in. Backman then bought the donation land claim owned by Jacob Johns, which is the place that his son, G. J. Backman still owns. Some land was cleared and some fruit trees had been set out a few years before. G. J. Backman is one of a family of five boys and one girl, among them, Dave, Charley, and Burt. His father died June 14, 1902 and his mother died June 23, 1910. Backman logged for many years, finally settling down to farming on the place still owned by him.
He married Emily Miller, March 29, 1874. It was her father who had bought his father's crop on the Guild place ten years before. Mr. and Mrs. Backman continued to live here and reared a family of four daughters. Rachel, the oldest married Owen Bennett. The second daughter, Etta, who was blind from young womanhood lived with her father; Ethel, married and died leaving three children in 1910; Emma married Milo Allen, a Woodland boy and now lives in Castle Rock. Both Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Bennett are now widows. Mrs. Bennett lives in Woodland, and Etta lives in Longview at Waldren's Home
on Beacon Drive.
After Mrs. Backman's death, Mr. Backman, with his daughter, Etta continued to live at the old home until in August 1943, they met with an accident and both were severely burned; at this time they left the old home and moved into town. He died at the Woodland home March 10, 1945, at the age of 94 years. Mrs. Emily Backman, wife of George J. Backman, passed away November 23, 1886.
BALLHORN, HENRY by granddaughter, Chrystal Schultz.
Henry Ballhorn with his wife Louiza and children young Henry and Anna moved to Woodland in 1879.
Mr. Ballhorn had served in the German navy and later as a civilian employee on an American navy ship exploring Alaska. He decided America was the place for him so he brought his young wife first to Westport Oregon where Henry II and Anna were born. There he engaged in the fishing business. When he decided to quit fishing and become a farmer he bought land on Green Mountain from Mr. F. M. Goerig. A few years later he sold this to the Wodaeges and it is still owned by that family. They next lived at Hoffman's landing near Martins Bluff and finally bought the Grange hall and several other pieces of property near it. The Grange Hall was across the road from the Odd Fellow Cemetery.
There were no doctors in the country at that time and Mrs. Ballhorn seemed to be unusually good at taking care of sick folks. She had a good sized family by this time having had five more children after coming to Woodland. However, she was never too busy to drop her work and go long distances on horseback, side saddle as women road in those days, to care for a neighbor.
Like her good friend Hulda Klager she loved flowers and had a beautiful garden. Mr. Ballhorn also loved the plants and grew wonderful grapes like they had known in Germany. Plants and flowers were always divided with friends and helped to bring beauty and loveliness to many frontier homes.
Mrs. Ballhorn died in 1906 at the age of 56 and I think it could be very honestly said that she was mourned by all who knew her. There were few families in the Lewis River area who had not been helped in some way by this kindly woman.
Mr. Ballhorn lived on in the family home with his son Carl until his death in 1930.
The children of Henry and Louiza Ballhorn were: Henry, Anna Elliot, Carl, William, Alice, Otto and Rose.
Henry married Anna Elliot. Anna Bellhorn married Bob Robins. Carl Ballhorn never married. William Ballhorn married Winifred Stoddard. Alice Ballhorn married William Sharp. Otto Ballhorn never married. Rose Ballhorn married Harry Sigel.
Members of the family still living here are Rose, now Mrs. Harry Sigel, Mrs. Arleigh Coney, Loyce Coney and Chrystle Schulz.
BEEBE, TIMOTHY FOSTUS
Timothy Fostus Beebe was born in Ohio, 1848 and died 1915 in a Portland hospital. He enlisted in the army December, 1863 and served until July 1865. He was with Sherman in his march to the sea. He then went to Illinois, then to Nebraska and to Washington. He married Nancy Snyder in Illinois. All the children except Frank and Fred were born in Nebraska. The Beebes came to Clackamas in 1888. His father, Col, was running a store there. Mr. Beebe came to Lewis River about 1889. He logged up the river with brother Charley and built the first saw mill in Woodland. The Woodland mill closed down about 1900.
Mrs. Beebe died in 1905. Their children were Jeff, George, Ed (Spud), Burt, Grace, Susie, William, Floyd, Frank and Fred. Jeff married Nora Henrici, daughter of Sauve Island violin maker; George married Ella Brown; Ed ( Spud) married Dora Shield; Burt married Ethel (a widow); Grace married Edmond Anrys; Susie married Henry Powell; William married Lettie Tallick and later married Lulu Houghton. Floyd married Rosie Mathews; Frank married Mary Ditmer, and Fred married Nettie Roberts. Susie and Henry Powell's children were Nora (married John Zyback), William and Glenn.
Charley Beebe, brother of Timothy Fostus married Olive Beebe, a cousin. Their children were Minnie, Etta, Harry, Dick, Lute and Elsworth. Minnie married Johnson, Etta married, Ives, Harry never married, Dick married a California girl, Lute married Olive (both school teachers), Elsworth married.
Charley took the Woodland mill machinery down to a location between Martin's Bluff and Kalama and ran it after he and Foss gave up the Woodland mill. The Charley Beebe family, for several years, lived near the forks of the river on the James Smith place.
BENNETT, JOE AND ELIZABETH
Joe and Elizabeth Bennett and their children, May, Daisy, George, Ida and son-in-law, husband of May, Alf Andrews came from Kansas to Woodland about 1889.
Church records show the Bennetts were active in church work. Mr. Bennett made the first contribution toward building the present Christian Church by furnishing powder to blow out the stumps on the church site. Mr. Bennett was a carpenter and probably helped build the church.
May and Alf Andrews had one child, Harry who is married to Hazel Martin and they now live in Woodland.
Daisy Bennett married Tom Hulett and they adopted Goldie and Carlton Conrad's son, George. Daisy taught school at Kerns, Haye's, Clover Valley and other upriver schools, George was also Daisy's grandson.
George Bennett married Stella Powell daughter of Willis Powell, and they had one son.
Ida Bennett married Carl Goerig and they had no children.
The Joe Bennett's adopted their great-granddaughter Daisy, daughter of Goldie and Carlton Conrad.
For Daisy and George Conrad's marriages see Sam Conrad family.
BENNETT, HENRY C.
Henry C. Bennett and wife Anzanetta left their Iowa farm December 1887 and with brother Scott Bennett's family headed west. They came by rail to Portland and on down to Lewis River on a stern wheeler probably the Lucia Mason to the Lish Right place at Hayes on Christmas day 1887. They put up a few days with the Wrights and Tom Holingsworth's while looking for a place to settle.
The Henry Bennetts left Iowa for the West because of poor health of Mrs. Bennett and the children, thinking the West would be a better climate and they sought the Wrights whom they had known in Iowa. Mrs. Scott Bennett was Mrs. Wright's cousin.
The Scott Bennetts soon moved to Cottage Grove, Oregon and the Henry Bennetts bought a 100 acre tract of land from George Backman, Sr. For a year the family lived in Mr. Backman's extra log house, later known as the Aron Evans home, across the road from Mr. Backman's home and lived there while building their home 1/2 mile away. They lived in their new home until 1917 when they bought a home in Woodland where daughter-in-law Rachael Backman Bennett, 80, now lives, renting the farm place to son Frank.
The Bennetts at once became active in Hayes Community life. In 1888 Owen was 10 and Catherine (Kate) was 6 and they started to school in the Hayes school down under the maples, by the creek across from the Lew Wright (now the Ekstine) place. Mr. Bennett, Rev. Jensen, D.W. Gardner and D. Wells Gardner organized an M.E. Church and underwrote the building of the church at Hayes in 1889. He was at various times Sunday School Superintendent, Granger, and school director, and Justice of the Peace. He was an arbiter in disputes among neighbors. Mrs. Bennett taught in the Sunday School. The Bennetts held evening Bible reading and prayer at home.
Mr. Bennett slashed and grubbed 30 acres of which he set out in apples, planting the trees he had raised from seeds and grafted into the varieties desired. He conducted a dairy, culling out the feeders from the milkers by weighing each cow's milk at each milking. He helped organize a cannery at Kerns in 1907 and carried the Kerns-Hayes-Etna mail for awhile.
He cradled and bundled his grain into stacks and joined the neighbors in the autumn threshing bees where the men swapped labor and the ladies put on the dinners. The thrashing machine got one peck for each 7 pecks threshed.
When this couple after having raised their family and resting on their laurels, retired in their Woodland, home, they joined the Presbyterian Church (no M.E. Church being available) and became active members. Mrs. Bennett suffered a long illness and died November 30, 1934. Mr. Bennet died July 18, 1938 spending his widowed years with son Owen and wife Rachael. Their children: Owen married Rachael Backman, Catherine married Ben Barr, Sarah married William Forbes, Fred married Florence May Oliver.
Owen and Rachels children were Evelyn who married Clifford Huddleston, Ella who married William Schurman, Lawrence who married Vida Street and Belva who married James Richie.
See Upper Lewis River Area.
Phillip A. and Jeannetta Blue were married in Kansas in 1896. Their only child Gene was born April 10, 1898. The Blues, when they came West in 1900 first settled on a farm at Sequim on Puget Sound. In 1903 they came to Woodland and opened a general merchandise store in the Bramhall Building which stood on the corner at the present Walt's Auto Supply corner. From this location they moved to the present bakery building and remained there until 1910 when they moved into the present Godfrey Store building which they had built. Mr. Blue died in 1919 and the building (239 Davidson NE) was sold to A. B. Martin 2 years later. Mrs. Blue died October 8, 1957 lacking ten days of being 90 years old.
The Blue's were active members of the Christian Church, and donated the church bell. Gene and Marie Goerig Blue, married in 1920 live in Woodland where their three children Phillip, Eloise and Mary were born and raised.
Gene is a World War One veteran. He worked in the Woodland Bank for George Plomondon. Worked in Tacoma and worked 10 years in the Cowlitz County Assessors Office.
BOGART, JOHN & KATE MC INTOSH
John and Kate McIntosh Bogart came to Woodland to take over and operate the Woodland Cheese Factory. (see cheese making).
Mrs. Bogart was a sister of Peter McIntosh. Peter sent for his brother-in-law, who was making high quality cheese in Ontario, Canada to come here.
Up to that time Woodland cheese did not enjoy the reputation of the quality that it attained under Bogart's supervision.
The Bogarts had no children. They were both charter members of the Rebeccas.
About 1912 Mr. Bogart quit cheese making and bought the Bill Bozorth dairy farm - now the headquarters of the Bulb Farm (No. Pekin Rd & Guild Rd) .
BOZORTH, SQUIRE AND MILLY ..... A note here that the tombstones of Squire and Milly and their son C.C. all spell the name Bozorth... Judy Card. January 2000.
Squire Bozorth Sr. settled on a Donation Land Claim in the Lewis River valley in 1851. He was born in Kentucky in 1792 where his father had received a grant of land for his service in the Revolution.
Squire's wife was Milly Willis, a daughter of Colonel Willis of Virginia whom he married in 1816. Eleven children sprang from this union. The oldest, Elizabeth, was born in Kentucky, 1817 and the youngest, Emma Caroline born in Iowa in 1842. The remaining nine, all born in Mississippi are in order of birth. Owen Willis (1820-1875), Mary Ann (1822-1860), John Shaw (1824-1882), Sarah Ann (1825-1873), Lorana Ellen (1828-1880), Christopher Columbus (1832-1914), Julia Ann (1834-1863), Squire, Jr. (1836-1905) and Milly Willis (1838-1883).
Squire and Milly with eight children migrated from SE Iowa to Oregon Territory by way of the Plains and ox team in 1845. Arriving at Fort Vancouver in December. The family first settled near Forest Grove on Gales Creek for a year where they raised a crop of wheat which could be used as a medium of exchange in lieu of currency. Then for a period of five years they lived on the Columbia River bottoms opposite Fort Vancouver.
In 1850 Squire took out a Donation Land Claim on the Lewis River and moved to it in the spring of 1851 where he died in 1853. His wife Milly followed Squire in death in 1856.
Time and space will not permit a following down of the story of each of the children of Squire and Milly Bozorth but a few will be considered.
The eldest son Owen whose 25th birthday occurred on the Westward journey, helped his father build a school on the site of Forest Grove, Oregon which later became Pacific University. Owen took out a Donation Land Claim on the bottoms south of Woodland, Washington, August 5, 1853 on land now owned by Perle Martin (1120 So. Pekin Rd). Soon after Owen was settled on this claim, 1855, he was granted a license to operate a ferry at Pekin, adjoining his claim.
John Shaw, the second son, came to Oregon in 1847 by way of the plains. He took advantage of the Land Claim privilege and settled on one in the Valley one mile north of the site of Woodland, February 22, 1852.
This writer, Clifford Bozorth, a grandson of John now lives on a portion of this claim and it is interesting to note that most of this Donation Land Claim is owned and occupied by John's grandchildren, children of his son Albert Henderson Bozorth.
John Shaw held strictly to the business of developing his land and supporting his family of eleven children. He was a progressive farmer and was among the first to make use of new farm machinery then coming into use, such as horse-drawn mowers.
John also donated an acre of land for the use of a cemetery. John married Aseneth Luelling and his children, all born near Woodland are as follows: Mary Elizabeth (1851-1903), Howard Columbus (1853-1939), Clara Jane (1855-1880), Emma Elvira (1856-1910), Amelia Almeda (1858-1939), Adelia Lodema (1860-1874), Alice Union (1863-1884), Arnice Luella (1865-1915), Albert (Ab) Henderson (1868-1950), Arthur Levi (1870-1934), John Ralph (Cloudy) (1872-1944).
The offspring of Howard C. by Adelma Martin, (sister of Wiley) and Emma Rockman were three daughters and one son: Lela O., Violet A., John Ira, and Lena C., all born in the vicinity of Woodland.
Lela O. married Robert Barr, 1898. No children. Violet A. married C. H. Clemens. No children. John I. married Mabel Jones, 1902. There were three sons, Howard, John Jr., and Melvin, all born and raised near Woodland.
Lena C. married Claude Shoemaker, 1904. There were two children, Udena and Victor.
Clara Jane Bozorth, third child of John S. Bozorth, married Royal C. Smith, 1874. There were four children, Clara Royal (Wilde), 1875- ), Jesse Bozorth Smith, Mary Lewelling and Rosie Belle.
Clara Smith Wilde has been a resident of Woodland for a number of years.
Amelia Bozorth married Corwin King, 1878. She remained in Woodland and vicinity most of her life. No children.
Albert H., the 9th child of John Shaw Bozorth married Gertrude Stallcop in 1891. Five children came from this union: Leta L. (Rasmussen), Clifford C., Linton E., and Laurel E. (twins), and Wayne I.
Leta, born in Yolo Co., California, 1892, has lived most of her life near Woodland, Washington. She married Carl Rasmussen in 1918. No children.
Clifford C., born near Woodland in 1894, spent nearly all of his life near Woodland, Washington as a farmer. He married Zella Foltz in 1922, with three children resulting, Eugene (deceased), Everett L. and Maurice S.
Linton E. was born 1896 near Woodland where he has resided most of his life. He married Clara Lemke in 1921. No children.
Wayne I., the youngest child, was born in Sherman Co., Oregon, in 1906. He came to Woodland in 1907, where he has since lived (SH503 & Insel Road ). Since 1935 he has operated a dairy farm on the original Donation Land Claim. He married Irene Farley in 1931. Four children, Laurita, Wayne Jr., Lyle and Claron.
Arthur Bozorth, the 10th child of John Shaw Bozorth, was born at the family home immediately north of the Kerns Cemetery. He married Cedora Jones, in 1891. There were seven children, Blanche, Levi (deceased), Bryan (deceased), Eva (deceased), Alice, Cathold, Hall. None of these children live near Woodland at the present time.
John Ralph (Cloudy) Bozorth, the youngest of John, was married to Sarah Ann Tooley in 1891. They had eight children, Howard L. (deceased), Clyde O. (deceased), Veraca V., Cecil S., Elmer M., Fannie L., Lee Co., and Emma A.
These children grew up in the vicinity of Woodland but at the present time are not residing here. John Ralph Bozorth served as Cowlitz County Assessor, 1910-1912.
To show the connection of the Bozorth family to the Fisher family, it will be necessary to look to the eldest child of Squire and Milly Bozorth, Elizabeth, who married David Dart in 1839. Their daughter, Elizabeth, married Adam Fisher, whose third child was Charles Fisher, a long time resident of the Lewis River Valley. Two sons came from this marriage, Harvey, born in 1896 and John (deceased).
Christopher Columbus Bozorth, who made the trip across the Plains in 1845 at the age of 13, lived in the Lewis River Valley from his boyhood, (1851-1914).
In 1881, Chris left off farming the land his father left him and opened a store on the bank of the Lewis River at the East end of present Davidson Ave., in Woodland. The next year he became Postmaster of the town which received its name at the suggestion of Chris' wife, Rhoda. Rhoda was a daughter of Jacob John, who played a prominent part in the early history of this region. Chris and Rhoda raised four children who were hers by a former marriage: Francis, Emma, Edith, and Ida Van Bebber.
Emma married Samuel Conrad, a long time resident of Woodland. Three children resulted: Ethlyn, Carlton, and Ruth.
Chris Bozorth served his community well. He sat in the State Legislature in 1860-61 and commencing in 1856, served four terms as Assessor, of Clark County and two for Cowlitz, 1874-1878.
Another son of Squire and Milly Bozorth, who made Woodland his home until his death in 1905, was Squire, Jr. He engaged in farming and also ran a store in Woodland about the turn of the century.
In 1882 Squire built a house on the east end of his farm near Lewis River. He continued at this business until he retired from the farm and devoted his time to his mercantile interests.
Squire Bozorth, Jr., married Miss Cynthia John in 1859. Four children resulted: William R., who took up residence in Vancouver at an early date, Alfred L., who spent his life in Woodland and Leona June.
Alfred L. married Katie Smith in 1888. the children of this marriage who made Woodland their home are Claude A. Bozorth, who now lives in Eugene, Oregon. He was one of the two members of the first graduating class of Woodland High. He married Alberta Hobbs and has three children: Glen T. Bozorth, a present resident of Woodland, lives on the farm owned by his grandfather, Squire, Jr. He married Helen Martin, sister of Mrs. Harry Andrews, and they have two children Grace Erion and Ralph, living in or near Woodland. The youngest son, Squire (deceased), became a medical specialist. The daughter Mildred, married Capt. Wm. Scaife.
In 1905, at the time of Squire Bozorth Jr's. death, certain elders of the family began to plan an organization for the Bozorth clan. The first annual meeting was held in the Oak Grove on July 8, 1905. About 150 members of the family were present, coming from many places in the Northwest. Christopher C. Bozorth of Woodland was elected President, Alfred N. Wills of Portland was named Vice President and Milton B. Bozorth of Portland became Secretary and Treasurer. John O. Bozorth of Bay City, Oregon was chosen Family Historian.
Reunions have been held each year without fail ever since, usually in Woodland and vicinity. The present officers of the Bozorth Reunion Association are Linton Bozorth of Woodland, President. Mrs. Blanche Richards of Toppenish, Wash., Vice President, Clifford C. Bozorth of Woodland, Secretary-Treasurer and Historian.
There are now believed to be about 2000 descendants of Squire and Milly Bozorth in the Pacific Northwest.
The third child of Squire and Milly Bozorth, Mary Ann, who married Solomon Strong, bore by Mr. Strong ten children, the second one being Mary Ellen, who was born in 1847. She married Jonathan Wills. From this came a family of six children, the eldest of which was Grant Wills, who made the Lewis River Valley his home most of his life. Grant married Viola P. Wright in 1897. This lady is at this time a resident of Woodland, Mr. Wills having passed on in 1917.
Children of this union are Joe A. Wills, 1897, Jessie E. Wills, 1899, Esther V. Wills, 1902, Annette M. Wills, 1903, and Ida M. Wills, 1906. Joe Wills married Anna Marsh in 1922, with five children resulting all growing up in the Woodland area.
Another branch of the Bozorth family, members of which have made the Lewis River Valley their home, is the line that came down from Elizabeth, the eldest child of Squire and Milly Bozorth. Born in Kentucky, she became the wife of Gideon Millard in 1849. Elizabeth had outlived three former husbands, Legg, Dart and Lance.
BRATTON, WILLIAM AND MARY ANN by granddaughters, Eva Davidson and Maude Bishop
William Bratton with his wife, Mary Ann Garbelt, and three children came from England in 1847, settling at Verona, Wisconsin. They had promised Grandma Bratton's people that they would return in 5 years, but in 5 years, having heard of free land in the west, William Bratton prepared to move with his wife and 5 children. Of course, they had troubles on the way like other pioneers. The first bad luck came when a quickly constructed ferry went to pieces, letting most of their precious possessions float down the river. They followed in canoes, catching what they could. One large walnut trunk filled with Grandma Bratton's lace bonnets and silk dresses was so heavy it sank to the bottom and they were able to retrieve it. This trunk is still in the possession of the family at Castle Rock.
Most of the oxen died on the way and cows were used to pull the wagons. The adults had to walk all the way and the children took turns walking.
At one time they nearly died from thirst, then it rained in the night, and in the morning all went out with spoons and dipped up the water from the cattle tracks for drinking water. At another time they nearly starved. For a couple of days their ration was five beans apiece. Then they met an Earl, Fritz William, with his party returning to the East. He gave them a sack of flour.
They settled in Vancouver, where they lived for a few months. The children attended school there and sat on boxes. There were no desks.
While in England, William Bratton was apprenticed and learned several trades. Brick laying and gardening brought him steady work in Vancouver, he had a number of friends there. One of his most intimate friends was Judge Lancaster. After grandma Bratton died, different people took the smaller children to keep for weeks or months. My mother, Fanny Bratton, had many pleasant memories of the times she spent at Lancasters'.
When William Bratton marched away to fight the Indians, Fanny was left with a neighbor woman who didn't live more than 10 miles away. Her husband had also gone to fight. As Fanny was playing out in the yard, a group of 8 or 10 painted Indians rode up. The lady rushed up and asked them what they wanted. They said "guns and ammunition". She gave it to them and they went on.
As William Bratton continued working at Vancouver his children were alone near Woodland most of the time. Their only near neighbors at that time were Indians, but they were not afraid of the Indians. The little Indian girls showed Fanny how to make the baskets that they carried water in, but the baskets just would not hold water.
William Bratton was a thirty second degree Mason and was very proud of it. Fanny said that if her father introduced her to a real good friend she always wondered if he were a Mason or an Englishman.
When he was 84 years old he had a stroke and after 6 months in bed, passed away.
His oldest son, William, carried mail up the Columbia for a number of years. He married and moved to Orcas Island where he died before the turn of the century. He was born in England. Mary Ann, born in England, lived at Woodland for many years, then she made her home with Fanny at Castle Rock for several years before her death. John died young. Fanny, born in Wisconsin, 1849, married Henry Huntington, who, with his father, Jacob Huntington, came to the Cowlitz in 1852, the same year that the Brattons came. George lived at Woodland all his life. He married Marion McKay. They had two children, twins, Martha and Margaret were born at Pekin. Margaret died when a baby. Martha married James Beer and lived in British Columbia where he was a customs house officer. They had one adopted girl, Mabel Beer Spicer, Martha died a few years after she was married.
Fanny and Henry Huntington had 9 children, among them Eva and Maude, who wrote this history.
Eva H. Davidson is now living at Castle Rock. She has two children and four grandchildren.
Maud H. Bishop, now living at Grandview, Wash. has two children and 8 grandchildren.
At one time Governor Stevens came to the neighborhood and made a political speech. Everyone, including Grandpa, was of the opposite party so no one was going to ask him home to dinner. Finally Grandpa felt sorry for him and asked him. They had potatoes baked in the ashes in the fireplace and barbecued beef. Grandfather sat at the head of the table as usual on a chunk of sawed off log. Stevens sat on a nail keg. They had no chairs.
BROUGHER, J. C.
See Luther Davis Family.
John Brugger settled on the Frank Abel place about 1900.
To the best information, he was a widower and came to Lewis River with the following children: John, Lizzie, Mary, Katie, and Theophil.
John married Josephine somebody, Lizzie taught school and never married, Mary never married, Katie married Elmer Snyder and Theophil, was a teacher of physics and chemistry in Portland High School in 1902 or 1903. When on vacation at his home on Lewis River, he was drowned by being unsaddled from a horse being forced into the river.
BRYANT, FREMONT AND LILLIAN STUART
Fremont and Lillian Stuart Bryant came to Woodland in 1902. He first operated the Hayes mill adjoining the Schurman place. A year later they moved into town and Mr. Bryant began working on the railroad. He was hard of hearing and was killed on the railroad track by being struck by a passing car. Their children were Earl, Clarence, Vida, and Fred. Vida married Clarence Youngstrom and their children were Gordon, Lillian and George. Clarence Youngstrom worked as a road supervisor for the county and state. Fred Bryant married Marie Rutherford. They had no children. Clarence Bryant was drowned while in swimming.
BUNKUM HOLLOW RESIDENTS
Charley Swarts, Cyclone Smith, John Polly, Henry Rollie, Rolly and Sally Hamilton, Preston Runyon, William Hannard, William and Nora Kirpatrick, Shannon, Tom Powell, and Jim Smith.
Andy Burcham and family, about 1889, bought the Kalahan place joining the Frank Murk place. The Burchams took over the pile driving business on Lewis River, starting out with a horse to pull up the hammer. They drove piles for docks, booms, and sheer booms along the river, expanding their operations to the Cowlitz and Columbia Rivers.
Their children were Albert, Dave, Perry, Carrie, Leota (Otie), Jim and Joe. Albert married Anna Murk (see Frank Murk family). Dave was married and taught school around the county for several years, then moved to California, where he became a college professor. He died there recently. Perry married Alta Ayers of Kelso. He taught school around the county and lastly owned and operated a Scow dredge, with headquarters at Kalama, where he was killed from a fall from the dredge. Carrie taught school and was Cowlitz County School Superintendent for several years. She later married Mr. Roberts and they moved to California. Leota (Otie) married Del Burns. Jim and Joe never married and both died young.
BURKE, JAMES, by granddaughter Hilda Tanner
James A. Burke was born December 19, 1831 in New York. He was one of 13 children born to Amos and Catherine Burke.
He came west in 1852. He had planned on going farther north close to Olympia, but he was sick when he came down the river and stopped at Grandpa Martin's. He stayed with them until he was well and they persuaded him to stay. He took a Donation Land Claim on the Island which is now called Burke Island.
Later on he homesteaded on the mainland. He bought close to 1000 acres of land in the bottoms from the government.
He raised garden produce and it was sent to Portland by boat. He had a money belt made when he fought in the Indian War that was the place he carried his money.
He married Abigail Martin on her 16th birthday. They built a home where the Burke home now is. That home burned and they rebuilt in the same place, using the same fireplace. The house still stands.
The Burke's had 17 children, 4 dying when they were small.
Grandpa Burke mostly raised cattle and farmed. He was a representative and served in the Legislature when Washington was first made a state. Later on when the counties were formed, he was County Commissioner.
The Burke place was a meeting place for the Hudson Bay Traders and many a night when the fur traders were there, whisky and gambling were common and sometimes lasted all night. My grandmother took it just so long until one night she lost her temper and threw every card into the fireplace saying "There will be no more card playing in this house while I'm alive" and there wasn't.
My grandparents celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1908. She died about three or four years later. My Grandpa died in 1923.
James and Abigail Burke's children were Jennie, William, Amos, Ida, Minnie, Addie, Clarence, Frank, Eva, Lulu, Stella, Grant, Daisy, Arthur, Joe, Maude and Iva.
Jennie married John Bolander and they had one daughter Pearl. Amos married Jane Tooley and they had one son, Marion. He later married Ezzie Stratton and they had two sons, Jim and Albert. William married Nora Jenkins and their children were Bill and Nellie. Ida married Joe Huddleston and they had no children. Minnie married Nels Olstend. Addie married Steve Hamlin. Clarence died at age two. Frank married Ellen (Nellie Finney). Eva died at age one year. Lulu married Emmett Robinson and their children were Lucile (Cora), Flora, Joe, Harry, Lena and Emmet (Pete). Grant never married. Daisy married Alec Hanson and their children were Hilda, Ella, Della and Herbert. Arthur never married. Joe died at age 12. Maude died at age 6 months. Iva married Hogan Pirtle.
Lulu Robinson and her sister Iva Pirtle of Tacoma are the only surviving children of James and Abigail Burke. At 84 Lulu keeps her own home and flowers in Woodland within a stone's throw of her son and daughter (at 202 Woodland View Drive).
Fred Lane was born in Illinois and lived in Indiana. He came to Lewis River in 1890 as locating Engineer of the Northern Pacific Railroad. He did logging, railroad surveying and land surveys. He plotted town lots in Kelso. He was Cowlitz County Engineer, Woodland Diking District Engineer and retired in 1953. He died in November 1955 at age 91.
Mr. Lane played an important part in Woodland's history. Lulu Robinson tells how her sister Stella got acquainted with Fred. The N.P.R.R. Locating Engineers with Fred in charge pitched tent on the Burke place when the cherries and pears were ripening and where there was plenty of room, water and good company, including six Burke daughters.
BURRILL, SIM W. by Curtis Gardner
A Lewis River Old Timer, Sim W. Burrill, now living in the Rogue River Valley, dropped in to see his old friend Amos Buker. He looked me up to get some data on the Hayes Cemetery. Mr. Burrill came into the Hayes district to work in the Hayes Tie Mill in 1911. The mill was on the August Schurman place (Bill and Frank's dad). Ties were cut and flumed down to Lewis River and floated on down to the mouth where they were loaded on barges for shipment. Mr. Burrill worked there six years, then moved to Vancouver. He later moved back to the Hayes district buying acreage from a Mr. Wheeler who had purchased the Indian Louis place (now the Fred Cochran and Pelham places.) It was there that he met and married Miss Wheeler in 1914. They had five children and now live near Central Point where he still works his trade as carpenter and millwright for his son in a sawmill on Rogue River. When asked when he was going to retire he jumped up, flexed his muscles and said, "I am not going to quit until I have to." When urged to tarry and tell more of his Lewis River experiences he said "Oh, I've got to get back to my job," and off he headed for the Rogue River. He named over some of the people he knew when working at the Hayes mill, Mr. Schurman, Mr. Hewett and sons, Archie and Harry, Bill Christensen, Huffmans, Mr. Spencer and the Barr and Robbins families.
Mrs. May Butts age 78, now living at the junction of the Whalen road and the dike tells of her long residence in the vicinity of where she now lives. She is the daughter of W.L. Ogden and was first married to William Vanover with whom she had five children, William, Pearl, Albert (Buss), Viola, Alice and Lena.
Mrs. Butts tells of the 1907 fire in Woodland which destroyed the Hopf (later Martin) hotel, livery barn and buildings across the street. She was then Mrs. Vanover and they were living across the street near the fire. Mrs. Butts later married Jim Matthews and they lived where she still lives until his death.
Mr. Butts whom Mrs. Vanover later married was a descendant of S. Butts who in 1855 took up the D.L. C. on which she now lives.
See George Wyman
CAPLES FAMILY by Barbara Caples Peeples great-granddaughter of Henry Laffer Caples.
By way of the overland trail or the isthmus of Panama, descendants of two sons of a German immigrant who came to America about 1760 traveled, less than a century later, to the new nations farthest frontier.
William and Robert Caple, two of the six children of Yawcob Kauple, add and "s" to their anglicized surname and moved west to Mill Township, Tuscarrawas County, Ohio in 1806.
Three of the sons of William Caples and his wife, Elizabeth Green Caples, left Ohio for the Pacific Coast in 1854. They were Dr. William Caples, who established a donation land claim where St. Johns, Oregon is now located; Joseph Caples, who settled near the present site of Columbia City, Oregon, and Kenzie Caples who, with his wife Jane Waud, settled near where Woodland stands.
Kenzie and Jane Caples had four children...John W., Charlotte, Flora and Mary. John married Harriet Gilson; their children were Conran, Jesse, Arthur, Bert and Ora. Charlotte married James Woods; Flora, a Mr. Calhoun; Mary wed Mr. Gardener, a sulter (soldier?) at Fort Canby, Washington. Kenzie drowned when he fell from a wharf at Portland in 1853. Years later his widow married Captain George LaMont of St. Helens.
Joseph Caples' wife died before he came West in 1854. his three children included Hazekiah, Johanne and Dr. Charles G., who married Lucinda McBride, a sister of former Governor of Oregon. Their five children were Maggie A., who married F. H. Wharton; Millie Louise, Belle Montan, who married George H. Shinn; Fredrick C., and Byron M. who married Grace H. Steele.
Johanna married George Maxwell and lived at Columbia City.
Hezekiah married Minerva Bonser; there were three sons. His second marriage was to his housekeeper many years his junior.
William Caples' brother, Robert, was the father of three sons. One of them, Judge Robert Francis Caples, married Charlotte Laffer, granddaughter of a Revolutionary War militia man, on February 23, 1812. Their 11 children included Henry Laffer Caples born August 19, 1823, in Ohio, and John Fletcher Caples, born January 12, 1832.
On May 15, 1852, Henry Lifer Caples, his wife and two sons as well as his Uncle, Philip Laffer and his wife, were part of a 16 wagon train which started from Sidney, Ohio for the pacific Coast.
They made 16 miles the first day. Caples we elected captain of the train. Preparations for the trip included laying in a "good supply of staples such as flour, cornmeal, bacon, rice, dried fruits, sugar, coffee, tea and seasonings of all kinds, a barrel of soda crackers, a ten gallon keg of homemade cucumber pickles, highly seasoned with pepper sauce.." according to Margaret Caples' diary.
Out of Fort Kearney, the train... enlarged then by combination with another... was besieged by war painted Indians who were fed and, the diary calmly asserts, "persuaded by signs to leave." The following day they learned from other travelers that there had been a bloody battle fought between the Cheyenne and Pawnee tribes. The band which had invaded the camp were defeated Pawnee seeking, not scalps, but protection.
Later, at the Umatilla Agency, an Indian chief was fascinated by the Caples' blue-eyed blonde baby, Hal, and offered 50 ponies for him. Rebuffed, he countered with "How many ponies will you take? I'll give all you want." Briskly, Margaret Caples wrote in her diary: "Needless to say, no bartering was done.."
After a seven month journey across the plains, Henry Laffer Caples, his wife and two small children.. Frank and Hal.. settled on a 320 acre donation land claim on the north bank of the Columbia River nearly opposite where Columbia City, Oregon is now located. The claim was purchased from a Mr. Germain; the family took possession on December 12 of 1852. That night two feet of snow fell, heralding the severe winter of 1852-53.
Their scant supply of provisions was almost exhausted; before supplies could be acquired from St. Helens, the river was blocked with ice and the prairie to the settlement three miles back was covered with deep snow.
Caples loaded his double-barreled shotgun with the last of his ammunition.. one barrel with bird shot, the other with buckshot, and started to the settlement. On his way he shot a pheasant. Once there he bought half a bushel of potatoes and a gallon of shelled corn for a dollar. Returning with his purchases, he fired into a flock of wild geese and killed three. Margaret Caples made lye from hardwood ashes and converted the corn to hominy. They survived until the river was free of ice and supplies available from St. Helens and Portland.
At that time St. Helens was supposed to be the head of navigation and the coming metropolis of the Columbia; Portland was but a small hamlet and it was not considered feasible for steamships to navigate the Willamette.
The steamship "Columbia" made a monthly voyage from San Francisco to St. Helens; the "Lot Whitcomb" was the only steamboat plying between Astoria and Portland.
In the Spring of 1857, the Caples sold the donation land claim (Caples Rd & Dike Road) and required a preemption land claim. The property was located about 3 1/2 miles from Caples Landing. Caples immediately began improvements there, erecting a two-room house and planting an orchard of 200 fruit trees.
"The country between La Center and Martin's Bluff was known as the Lewis River Country. "Margaret Caples' diary notes. 'Along the Lewis River not far from La Center and Woodland were the John Timmons, Captain Bratton and Gatton homes, then John Roberson, son-in-law of Isaac Eaton, our fellow traveler over the Oregon Trail. Next along Lewis River was the Eaton home which was nearer the foothills. A few miles from Woodland on the bank of the Columbia River were the Kraft and Page homes. Following along the Columbia River several miles was the John Springer place, then our Donation Land Claim and next John Martin. From the Eaton home were the homes of the four Bozorths, John Gilsons, Dolomon S. Strong and Kenzie Caples (a twice removed cousin.) Between this Caples home and the Martin's Bluff was our preemption claim and the James Burke home. Mr. Burke was a son-in-law of John Martin."
The Territory of Washington was separated from Oregon by an act of Congress, March 2, 1853. In 1855, and each consecutive year until 1863, H.L. Caples was elected to the Territorial Legislature, serving four times in the house and three in the council, or what is now the senate.
During this period the legislature convened annually from the first part of December, continuing through a 60 day session.
"During trouble with Indians at the Cascades in 1855-56" according to the diary, "the settlers in our vicinity, fearing the Yakimas would come through the mountains, formed a company." they elected H.L. Caples as captain, moved their families across the river to St. Helens and built a blockhouse for protection in case of attack, "but the Indians failed to put in an appearance."
In the winter of 1856, Margaret Caples taught a term of school at St. Helens. Then during the summer of 1862, the neighbors combined to secure the services of John H. Niece to teach a three month term in the Fred Lee Lewis home. Frank Caples attended and was awarded a copy of Cowper's poems as a prize. Mrs. John Springer taught a term in a room of the C. C. Bozorth home in 1863 and in the spring of 1864 the neighborhood men built a one room schoolhouse on land donated by "Aunt" Jane Caples.
However, the family realizing the children must have better educational advantages, moved to Vancouver December 6, 1864.
April 1, 1865, H. L. Caples' youngest brother, John Fletcher Caples arrived with his wife and five daughters from Ohio via the Isthmus and San Francisco. They settled in Portland, where he became a judge of the circuit court.
H. L. Caples, while in Vancouver, had his law office in town and for several years was associated with J. D. Potter and F. T. Maulsby. He was also associate editor of the Vancouver Register with G. M. Washburn in the early seventies.
Later, he and his family moved to Battle Ground and from there to Patah City in Columbia County, where he became established in the mercantile business and continued his law practice. The family remained in southeastern Washington until 1889, when they returned to Vancouver. Then, in 1905, Henry Laffer Caples and Margaret Kuhn Staley Caples went to Chewelah to make their home with their daughter, Rose. Both died there in 1910. Their graves, and those of many of their children, are in the city cemetery in Vancouver.
Children of Henry Laffer and Margaret Kuhn Staley Caples were Edith Forrester, who died in infancy; Robert Francis (Frank) and Henry Rush (Hal) born prior to the trip West; Lillie, Rose, William, Mary and Douglas, all born in Clark County; and Charles William and Philip Laffer, born in Vancouver.
CHAPMAN, C. H. AND ALICE HALL
C. H. And Alice Hall Chapman came to Woodland and bought the James W. Copeland place in 1899. Dr. Chapman had served 6 years as President of the University of Oregon (1893-99). He was a brilliant student in mathematics having obtained his Ph. D. from John Hopkins' University. Fraught with dissension's among the faculty and board of regents, he resigned in 1899 and probably sought surcease from his arduous toil by buying a farm out in the country. He forthwith bought the Copeland farm and he and his wife lived there 17 years when they sold the place to John (Casey) Smearman and moved into Woodland where they lived until 1921 when they moved to Nappa, Idaho where be became editor of a paper.
While living on the farm in Woodland (So. Pekin Road and Wyman Road), most of Chapman's time was taken up with writing. He had liberal learnings. He wrote for The Oregonian and for magazines and later switched to writing for the Journal. He lived on the farm and rode to his work in Portland on a motorcycle making trips home weekends. When train service was established to Portland he gave up the motorcycle for the train.
Mrs. Alice H. Chapman was a doctor also and M.D. She was from Boston and a very refined lady and highly esteemed Doctor to the Woodland people. She and Dr. Longaker, who came later, healed the sick and afflicted until Dr. Hoffman came in 1909 to whom Dr. Lonaker sold his practice and Dr. Chapman quit practicing.
See Littler family.
Will Christenson came from Minnesota via Seattle and Portland to Lewis River in 1902. The four pronged questions arises: Why, When, Where and How did he come? The when and where are answered above. Why? He came west as a young man looking for better opportunities. How? He came by train to Portland and by Steam boat to Lewis River.
Mr. Christenson's first job was with the Hayes mill in 1903. He worked here and at other jobs until 1908 when he married Lois Horton. This couple then set up housekeeping on the Horton place which Mr. Horton had bought from John Eggars. This place is still known as the Christenson place.
Mr. Christenson became a successful farmer, always looking for better ways of improving his crops and dairy herd. The Christensons took an active part in community activities. He helped build the Hayes Community Hall, promoted the first Woodland Fairs and is still active in the Columbia Empire Fair at West Kelso. He was custodian of the Gardner Cemetery at Hayes for many years.
The Christenson children are: Helen, Clifford, Lawrence, and Mildred. Helen married Jay Griffin, Clifford married Bettie McDonald, Lawrence married Billie Langvin and Mildred married Clyde Schurman.
George Colville probably came to the Hayes vicinity with the Tom Hollingsworths. He moved into their log house when they moved to their new home on the knoll. George was a bachelor and constant pipe smoker. He owned and operated an auger-type well drilling machine in the neighborhood.
George possessed or led the neighborhood to think he possessed certain occult powers such as wishing warts off the children's hands and operating a divining stick (a willow forked stick) to find the best place to dig a well. George walked with a cane not from old age as much as a mark of distinction.
Mr. and Mrs. Francis Colvin with two sons, a daughter and brother Lish left California for Oregon in the fall of 1865. They stopped over at Scottsburg, Oregon, where they wintered. The next spring they proceeded to the Lewis River Country and Mr. Colvin took up a homestead where the fish hatchery now stands. This same year, Lish became acquainted with and married Amanda Gardner.
Lish and Amanda took up a homestead just North of La Center, later lived in Ilwaco, and later they took over the management of the Odd Fellows home at Walla Walla. Lish died there in 1906 and Mrs. Colvin continued management of the home several years later moving to Portland where she died in 1924. They had no children.
The Francis Colvins lived many years on the homestead. He had a tannery and made shoes for the family and neighbors. He also had a small store. Colvin's Landing was the up-stream end of the earliest steamboat runs. The Francis Colvin children were Marion, Walt, Henry, Lish and Jennie Melanie. Marion never married. He was a good fiddler. Jennie married a Mr. Marvin and they had two children Lulu and Leroy. The Marvins separated after Leroy's birth--the cause of separation, incompatibility. Later Jennie Marvin married James McBride a Woodland bartender.
Sam Conrad, son of David and Lura Bradley Conrad, was born in Washington County, Oregon in 1854. He worked in Oregon lumber camps until 1882 when he came to Woodland. In 1883 he married Emma Van Bebber, step daughter of C. C. Bozorth, who was teaching school in La Center, and settled in the old C. C. Bozorth house which was built in 1853 and still stands across the road from its original location. It is said to be the oldest house in the Pekin or Woodland area.
Mr. Conrad joined the Kalama Masonic Lodge in 1891. He was Postmaster at Woodland under the Harrison Administration from November 25, 1890 to May 12, 1893 when he resigned under the Cleveland administration. He was a school director for many years. He came here as a school teacher. Mrs. Klager and Fred Stallcop say he taught in the first Pekin log school house. Probably he and Emma became acquainted through both being school teachers. He played in the Woodland Band and took an active part in community activities.
He was a friendly man. He wore a short red bushy beard and a smile you could see a mile away. He ran the Pekin stage for years, blowing his horn at early morning pick-up at the two Woodland hotels before heading for Pekin.
Woodland's first library was started by Mrs. Sam Conrad who fixed an upstairs room in her home and loaned her own books to those wishing to read them. This home is still in use. It is the big white house next to the Administration Building at 100 Davidson Avenue. (Quote from Library Report on Community Development Study.)
Later the Conrad's daughter Ethlyn (see C. C. Bozorth Family) became the first paid Librarian according to City Council minutes.
in 1906 the Conrads bought the old John S. Bozorth place from John Lawyer (Bill's father) and lived there allotted time there. They both died one month apart in 1928. Then Carlton and wife moved in and remained until the house was torn down in 1932.
The children were Ethlyn, Carlton and Ruth.
Ethlyn married a Mr. King and they had two children, Bonita and Sam. Sam died at age 1 year. Carlton married Goldie Bennett and they had two children Daisy, born May 12, 1912 and George born November, 1913. Daisy married Carl Button and George married Ruth Lauderbach. Carlton later was married to Zella Longston and they now live on the old home place of his parents. Ruth Conrad married a Mr. Schurman and they had two girls, Helen and Laura.
COPELAND, JAMES W.
James W. Copeland was born in Illinois, June 16, 1837 and received his education there. In 1856 he arrived in California by way of the Isthmus of Panama. After two years of mining there, he came to Multnomah Co., later to Union Co., Oregon. In 1868 he bought the Allen Gilson Donation Land Claim on Lewis River for $10,000.00, but did not establish residence there until ten years later. In the meantime he engaged in mining in Arizona and lived in Oakland for a while.
In 1878 Mr. Copeland transferred his activities to the Lewis River community then known as Pekin. He built a fine home, cheese factory, barn and out buildings.
Mr. Copeland probably was married in 1862 or 1863. The headstones of his two oldest children Della and Charles, now in the Hawk cemetery show that Della was born December 6, 1863 and Charles was born January of 1865. Probably his other children: Ludocia, Frank, Fred, Winifred, and Hattie were by a second marriage to Miss Sara E. Thomas, sister to Mrs. H. L. Caples.
The Copelands took an active part in community life. They came in pre Woodland days and were charter members of the First Presbyterian Church organized in Woodland in 1889.
On February 23, 1899 Mr. Copeland sold out to C. H. Chapman for $6,300.00. Mr. Chapman assuming a $3,800.00 mortgage.
All through the Copeland abstract, notices of mortgages and mortgage redemption's appear. It would seem that he did better financially at mining than at farming and steamboating.
Present owners of the Copeland (Allen Gilson Donation Land Claim) place are Charles and Byron Ferguson, John Wyman, John (Casey ) Smearman, Harry Taylor and Ed Griffith.
Jabez and Jane Lancaster were married in Delaware County Ohio in 1842. They lived at Burr Oak Michigan. They came west to Goldendale, Washington and moved from there to Woodland, Washington.
Their children were: Sara born 1843, married Wilbur Munsell and resided at Centerville, Michigan. Amelia born 1845, resided in Ohio. Winfield born 1847, resided in Michigan. Mary born 1852, married Will Andrews. She was washed away with her children in a landslide on the Siuslaw River in Lane Co., Oregon in 1891. Her husband and one son Warren were saved. Willie and Winfred, twins, were born in 1856. Mina was born in 1861.
A grandson, Ross, lived with the family here. The Cowles were good Seventh Day Adventists. Mrs. Cowles was a mid-wife and several of the children of pioneer families were ushered into this world with her aid.
Jabez died Dec. 18, 1896 at the age of 75 years and was buried in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery.
Winfred Cowles at the tender age of 10 tried to be a drummer boy in the Civil War but because he was so small he was sent home. He was a fiddler for the old time dances and in his later years he won first prize at a pioneer picnic in Portland Oregon. He and his first wife, Mollie, lived at Amboy. His second wife was Melinda Bolen. He died about 1945 and was buried at Goldendale, Washington beside his sister.
Jane Lancaster was a sister of Judge Columbia Lancaster.